Salerno is located at the geographical center of a triangle nicknamed Tourist Triangle of the 3 P (namely a triangle with the corners in Pompei, Paestum and Positano). This peculiarity gives Salerno special tourist characteristics that are increased by the many local points of tourist interest like the Lungomare Trieste (Trieste Seafront Promenade), the Castello di Arechi (Arechis’ Castle), the Duomo (cathedral) and the Museo Didattico della Scuola Medica Salernitana (Educational Museum of the Salernitan Medical School).
- Lungomare Trieste (Trieste Seafront Promenade). This Promenade was created from the sea during the 1950s and it is one of the best in Italy, at the level (and imitation) of those in the French Riviera. It has an extension of nearly five miles (8.0 km) with many rare palms.
- Castello di Arechi (“Arechi’s Castle”) is a massive castle commanding the city from a 300 m (984.25 ft) hill. It was enlarged by Arechis II over a pre-existing Roman-Byzantine construction. Today it houses rooms for exhibitions and congresses. The Castle offers a complete and spectacular view of the city and the Gulf of Salerno.
- Centro storico di Salerno. The “Historical Downtown of Salerno” is believed to be one of the best maintained in the Italian peninsula. Its “Via dei mercanti” (Merchant street) is even today the main bulk of the shopping in the city. The Duomo is its centre.
- Giardino della Minerva. The “Minerva’s Garden” is situated in the fringes of the Castle hill that dominates the old Salerno. In it can be found the medieval “Hortus sanitatis” (Health garden) of the Schola Medica Salernitana, that was the first European “orto botanico” (botanical garden).
- Parco del Mercatello. The “Park of Mercatello (little market)” is situated in the eastern section of the city. It was made in 1998 and with its about twenty acres is one of the biggest in Italy.
- Forte La Carnale. The “La Carnale Castle” got his name from a medieval battle against the Arabs and is part of a sport complex (with pool, tennis courts and hockey). Actually it is used as a cultural center for expositions and meetings.
- Villa Comunale di Salerno (Municipal Park of Salerno). The garden of the old city hall is actually a huge recreation area in front the Salerno Theater (the “Teatro Verdi”), with a fountain (called “Don Tullio”) done in 1790.
- Colle Bellara (Bellara Hill), a hill from which it is possible to see the Amalfi Coast up to the Cilento.
- Teatro Verdi. The Salerno Theater (“Teatro Verdi”) was done in 1872 and is decorated with paintings of Gaetano D’Agostino. The theater was heavily damaged during the 1980 earthquake and rebuilt in 1994, during the celebrations for the fifty years of “Salerno Capital of Italy”.
- Palazzo di Città di Salerno (Town Hall of Salerno). It was constructed in 1936 in typical Fascist style. Its main saloon, the “Marmol Saloon” was the meeting room for the first Government of the Kingdom of Italy after the fall of Fascism in 1943.
- Palazzo Genovese. In baroque style of the 17th century, was rebuilt by the architect Ferdinando Sanfelice.
- Palazzo Pinto. It is situated in the middle of the “Via dei Mercanti” (merchant street) and has the “Pinacoteca Provinciale” (Provincial Pinacotheca).
- Palazzo De Ruggiero. Noble building done in the 16th century, situated near the Cathedral.
- Castel Terracena (Terracena Castle), built by Robert Guiscard in 1076–1086 as a royal mansion, next to the Eastern walls. Only scarce remains (mainly tower-houses in tuff) can be seen today, as it was destroyed by an earthquake in 1275.
- Palazzo Fruscione. Medieval palace erected in the 12th century. It includes walls of the Arechis II Royal Mansion.
- Palazzo Copeta. It is situated in the Lombard section of the city. It hosted the last lessons of the Schola Medica Salernitana during Napoleon times.
- Palazzo d’Avossa. Noble palace rebuilt in the 17th century by the architect Ferdinando Sanfelice. It has frescoes inspired by Torquato Tasso’s Gerusalemme liberata
- Palazzo Ruggi d’Aragona. Palace built in the 15th century near the “Via dei Mercanti” (merchant street).
- Palazzo Morese. Built in the 14th century and later renovated in Baroque style, facing the Cathedral.
- The Cathedral is the main tourist attraction of the city. In its crypt is the tomb of one of the twelve apostles of Christ, Saint Matthew the Evangelist.
- Chiesa della SS. Annunziata (14th century) located near the northern entrance of medieval Salerno (called “Portacatena”). It has a beautiful bell-tower done by the architect Ferdinando Sanfelice.
- Chiesa di San Gregorio. The church was built in the 10th century near the “Via dei Mercanti” (merchant street): a document states its existence in 1058. Actually is the home of the “Museo didattico della Scuola Medica Salernitana” (Museum of the Salerno Medical School).
- Chiesa di San Giorgio. The church of St. George is the most beautiful Baroque church of Salerno. It has paintings of Andrea Sabatini and high-quality frescoes by Francesco and Angelo Solimena (late 17th century). It is related to one of the most ancient monasteries of the city, dating back to the early 9th century, which remains of apse frescoes in have been recently brought to light.
- Chiesa di San Pietro in Vinculis. It is located on the “Piazza Portanova” (Portanova Square) and has Renaissance paintings.
- Chiesa di San Benedetto. The St. Benedict church was originally part of a monastery from 7th–9th centuries, connected to a massive acqueduct whose remains are still visible today. After the Arabs destruction in 884, it was rebuilt by Abbot Angelarius with a nave and two aisles. Remains of an entrance quadriporticus can still be seen.
- Chiesa di Sant’Agostino. The church is renowned for the “Madonna di Costantinopoli” (Our Lady of Costantinople) inside.
- Chiesa del SS. Crocifisso. The church located in the “Via dei Mercanti” (merchant street) has a Cripta of the 10th century.
- Chiesa di San Pietro a Corte. A Lombard church from the 10th century, it was part of Arechis II’s royal mansion with the name “Cappella Palatina”.
- Chiesa dell’Annunziatella. The church is located near the old Roman Forum and has a beautiful fountain of the 16th century near the entrance.
- Faro della Giustizia (Justice Lighthouse). Monument of the Judiciary Citadel of Salerno, near the “Colle Bellara”.
- Monumento al Marinaio (Monument to the Sailor), situated in Concordia square, in front of the “Masuccio Salernitano” tourist port.
Museums and galleries
- Museo Archeologico Provinciale (Provincial Archaeological Museum). The Museum is located inside the old “San Benedetto Monastery” and is internationally renowned for its “Testa di Apollo” (head of Apollo).
- Museo Didattico della Scuola Medica Salernitana (Educational Museum of the Salernitan Medical School). Located inside the Lombard church of San Gregorio. The Museum has noteworthy documents from the Schola Medica Salernitana.
- Museo Diocesano di Salerno (Salerno Museum of the Diocese). It is located near the Salerno Cathedral and has many precious objects of religious art.
- Pinacoteca Provinciale (Provincial Pinacotheca). Located inside the “Palazzo Pinto” in the “Via dei Mercanti” (Merchant street). It has many Renaissance paintings (like those of Andrea Sabatini, who worked in the Cappella Sistina).
- Area archeologica etrusco-sannitica di Fratte. The Archaeological site of the Etruscans and Samnites in Fratte is the most southern in Italy and is located in the eastern outskirts of Salerno. It has a huge necropolis.